Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Volleyball Heading To Nebraska
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
09-10-2013

The Flyers beat Cincinnati in straight sets last weekend but lost in straight sets to North Carolina and Ohio University. I asked Matt a couple of questions about the weekend and how the team played. I have been impressed with Matt's candor when evaluating the team's play to this point. I have a lot of confidence that Matt can get the most out of his players.

"I thought we showed flashes of really good serving, but when we didn't capitalize with our defense and transition offense. If you are going to cause the opponent problems with the serve, you need to bury them quickly and not give them more opportunities".

Who stood out over the weekend?

I thought Janna had some flashes of really good back court defense, and there were times we started to get some potent offense from Isolde".

The Flyers are living through some bumps in the road right now caused by the graduation of Kray and Paige. That isn't making excuses as it is always next man/woman up in sports. But, it is more than the large number of hitting attempts (and Kills) that Kray provided. So I asked Matt to explain to the fans how responsibilities have changed.

"Well, when you lose Kray AND Paige out of the passing pattern, that leaves holes to be filled. Alaina is shouldering a good amount of that and is learning the rigors of being a targeted passer. I think both of our outside hitters are understanding the load they must carry as all-around players, not just attackers".

I have played as the targeted serve receiver before, it isn't fun and confidence can fade quickly when you aren't having a good day.

Great teams seem capable of getting a sideout whenever they need it. But, you also need to produce points when you are serving and Matt knows that the defense and blocking need to improve.

"The main point is that when we do sideout with proficiency, we have to be a more stingy defense and score with the ball. We are not getting multiple-point runs enough from our team defense (which includes the servers)".

This weekend the Flyers play in a great pre season tournament at Nebraska. The first match is on Thursday at 5:30 pm against Iowa State. On Friday the Flyers play Nebraska at 8pm. On Saturday the Flyers play Saint Marys at 5:30pm.

Winning any match at the tournament right now would be considered an upset. If the Flyers can someone win two it would be a great weekend. What does Matt think about playing in the Nebraska tournament?

"This is another big-time opportunity for our program. I would imagine all of the teams headed to Nebraska feel the same way. This is one of the great pre-season tournaments in the country this year when you look at the level of teams (#12, #17, #35). We are definitely looking forward to battling all three teams".

This is great exposure for the vball program that has been built at UD. There is no question that playing a great non conference schedule helps with recruiting big time talent.

It appears that you can listen to the games at no charge if you follow the links through the schedule at Daytonflyers.com. Good luck to the Flyers.

Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools