» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Pictures At An Exhibition Game
Published by Swampy Meadows
10-29-2022

DAYTON (OH) – Way back in 1874, Russian composer Modest Mussorgsky authored a suite of ten classical piano pieces entitled Pictures at an Exhibition. Almost 100 years later in 1971, the prog rock trio Emerson, Lake & Palmer released a like-titled live album based on Mussorgsky’s work. The album included the rollicking single “Nut Rocker” that you can partake of here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiRBQ_hSNt0

51 years later, “From the Swamp” finds itself sitting in UD Arena for the debut of the much-anticipated 2022-23 UD Flyers’ squad in a tuneup tilt vs. Damon Goodwin’s Capital University Comets.

I am reminded of the time I attended the Michigan High School All-Star Game to watch UD signee Devin Searcy in action. The gentleman sitting next to me on press row saw that I was taking notes and asked “You aren’t keeping statistics for an all-star game are you?” I wasn’t – I was merely tracking how Devin did. An exhibition tilt is pretty much like an all-star game, as nobody is really gonna want to read a play-by-play description of it or care much about the stats from it.

With that in mind, “From the Swamp” is proud to present Pictures at an Exhibition Game.

The Arena

The last time “From the Swamp” was here for a Dayton game, it was this memorable occasion:

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34131

I sincerely doubt tonight’ exhibition contest will come close to toppin’ Obi’s last game in a Flyer uni. But here’s hoping that the 2022-23 campaign can meet or exceed the accomplishments of that 29-2 squad. Even tho this contest is only pretend, it is, like all of the regular season home games, a sellout. However, while the lower bowl is pretty full, the upper Arena is about half way.

The Band

Dr. Willie has them in mid-season form. Always a highlight of a game at the Arena.

The People

There is nothing like being with 13,000 of your closest friends to watch your favorite five do basketball battle. What I have missed most in the last two pandemic-impacted seasons is the folks I get to chat with on gameday – Doug Hauschild, Larry Hansgen, Matt Schwade, Tom Archdeacon, David Jablonski and yes, even you, John R.

The Players

DaRon Holmes II

Deuce looks like he has packed on some pounds, particularly in his upper body. He is utilizing that strength to overpower the smaller Comets’ bigs. His FT form seems to be much smoother.

Toumani Camara

Captain Camara has an alliterative ring to it, no? He looks leaner and meaner than last year. Made several confident cuts to the hoop and finished strong and drained a three. Made a great pass to DaRon for a flush. Hit a pretty finger roll to open the second half.

Mike Sharavjamts

“Mongolian Mike” gets the starting nod along with the 4 normal guys, RJ, Toumani, Deuce and Kobe Elvis. He got fooled on a backdoor cut but fortunately Capital threw it OB. Made a superb pass to Toumani who blew the bunny. When Elvis sat he ran PG. Confidently swished a triple. On D he covered the Comets PG and also defended one of their bigs. He can man up on 1-4 on defense. He was +27 in the first stanza. Hit a mid-range J and made the resulting FT. Missed a couple of threes but then assisted on a Toumani jam and made one. Mike’s dad is easy to spot in the parents section.

Tyrone Baker

Made his first appearance in a UD uni with 7 minutes to go. Ran the floor well and was active on D plus he grabbed three boards. Made a super pass to a cutting Zimi for the flush. Ty will be a very serviceable backup to DaRon and Toumani.

Zimi Nwokeji

Checked in for Deuce. Had a nice breakaway jam. He was the recipient of a nice dropoff pass from Deuce but fumbled it away. Missed a trey and was guilty of a frustration foul after it.

Mustapha Amzil

Mus is the first sub in, replacing RJ. He looks thinner which is a plus. Made a nice driving move to the hoop in the second half.

R.J. Blakney

Didn’t look to shoot at all until he popped a nice trey from the baseline. In the second half he flashed for an electrifying alley oop off a feed from Elvis:

https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...DTxaT5tYQsAAAA

And then followed it up with an absolute monster jam:

https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...CjvdOcuIQsAAAA

Kobe Elvis

He is running the point to start the game, not Mike. Not looking for his shot which may be by design. And of course, as soon as I typed this he drained a three. Followed that up with several nice layups. Hit his patented fade away jumper.

The Walkons

Brady Uhl

Came in to give Toumani a breather. Missed a wide open triple try., but logged some good first-half minutes. Finally scored on a pull up J. Zigged when he should have zagged on a pass from Zimi.

Ty Locklear

Entered with 2 and change to go. Grabbed a board.

Atticus Schuler

DNP.

Cole Hatkevich

Came in with 5 to go. Drained a trey with nice form.

The Watchers

Malachi Smith

He was out on the floor high-fiving teammates during warmups, still sporting a heavy-duty gray walking boot that perfectly matched his sweatsuit.

Richard Amaefule

Will Richard ever suit up for the Red and Blue? Not tonight at least.

Koby Brea

He was moving around free and easy during warmups and not wearing a boot. Doesn’t appear his “lower body injury” will impact his availability for too much longer.

MIA

Kaleb Washington

Rumor is that he has been suspended from team activities for 3-4 games. Not on the bench.

Post Game

Deuce and Mike were the postgame players in the media room. Mike said he wasn't nervous and having his family here is a big plus in helping him to relax. Deuce said he thought RJ's jams were great. Mike said one of his teammates told him he might start. DaRon said the team is gonna "keep ten toes down" whatever that means.

AG said it was great to be back in front of the fans. He thought Mike did a good job in his first game. Kaleb is suspended and is not available. "He understands what he needs to do." Tyrone Baker has been practicing for a bit and is getting back into game shape. Brady Uhl has done a good job in stepping up. Thought Kobe Elvis did a great job at PG.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Chris R on 10-29-2022, 11:23 PM
Im digging Mongolian Mike. Brings a very diverse skill set. He's going to be a handful in the A10 once he bulks up and gets used to college ball.
By st marys on 10-30-2022, 01:33 PM
DaRon said the team is gonna "keep ten toes down" whatever that means.

Without knowing the context of this quote, My guess is that he means they’re going to keep their feet on the ground and not have their head in the clouds this season.
Posted via Mobile Device
By Swampy Meadows on 10-30-2022, 02:22 PM
Yeah that’s what I surmised but I had never heard that phrase before.
Posted via Mobile Device
Comment

Article Tools