Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-15-2021, 02:40 PM
1st Lieutenant

O Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud of
Off Topic - Need Help with OHSSA Soccer Rules

I apologize in advance for posting here but I was trying to find an online version of OHSSA soccer rules online.

My grandson received a red card for an unintentional handball within the penalty box. Our concern is the two game suspension as a result. Does anyone here know the rule and where to reference it? Did the referee have any discretion here as far as issuing the red card?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2021, 03:24 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
NFHS Rules:

Originally Posted by O Doyle Rules View Post
I apologize in advance for posting here but I was trying to find an online version of OHSSA soccer rules online.

My grandson received a red card for an unintentional handball within the penalty box. Our concern is the two game suspension as a result. Does anyone here know the rule and where to reference it? Did the referee have any discretion here as far as issuing the red card?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
"A soccer player or bench personnel is considered “ejected” upon receiving a straight Red Card (NF Rule 12-8-2) and shall be ineligible for all contests for the remainder of that day. In addition, the student shall be ineligible for all contests at all levels in soccer until two regular season/tournament contests are played at the same level as the ejection. The player is to remain with the team under the jurisdiction of the head coach for the remainder of the contest."

https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.n...SoccerRegs.pdf

It comes down to what you consider 'unintentional' and what a certified, trained and experienced official considers 'unintentional'...(but ud2, gazoo and smitty will undoubtedly disagree with me since they know better ).

If your grandson accidentally in unintentionally extended his arms (for whatever reason) and unintentionally and accidentally made contact with the ball (an actual shot at the goal, not a pass) inside the penalty area, it doesn't matter that it was accidental and unintentional.

Under the rules, extending your arms and making yourself 'bigger', causing you to make contact with the ball and denying the opponent a goal/goal-scoring opportunity is an automatic red card...whether this action was intentional or unintentional does not matter...repeat, DOES NOT MATTER.

Sir O'Doyle, I officiated soccer for 4 years and saw all sorts of accidental/unintentional handballs and have no doubt that your grandson didn't intend on committing a red card offense...but his intent isn't factored into the decision. What happened and where is all that matters.

Last edited by rollo; 09-15-2021 at 03:28 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (09-16-2021), O Doyle Rules (09-16-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 06:07 PM
1st Lieutenant

O Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud of
My grandson had his arms up against his chest and the ball hit his elbow. His arms were not extended in any fashion. Approximately 15 kids were in the box at the time. With little knowledge of soccer on my part I just thought the red card was excessive as some information on the internet leads you to believe it has to be a deliberate act. I am not questioning the call so much. The two game suspension for high schoolers in this situation is tough I feel. Hard lesson for my grandson, as his coach also believed it had to be a deliberate act.

Thank you King Rollo! Much appreciated.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:12 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by O Doyle Rules View Post
My grandson had his arms up against his chest and the ball hit his elbow. His arms were not extended in any fashion.
Most kids in this situation, from my experience, cover their balls...not their chest! By chance, did he move his arms up from his family jewels into his chest as soon as he saw it was safe to do so? That might explain the refs call. Otherwise, as described, a red card is not the call I would have made.
O Doyle Rules (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 08:49 AM
1st Lieutenant

He was jumping up attempting to block the ball with his body. His fists are together in front of his face with his forearms in front of his chest with his elbows straight down. It appears that he is trying to take the impact of the ball with the side of his body as when he jumps in the air he turns his body. I have seen him jump like this multiple times when trying to block the ball in the field of play as well. This is only his second year of playing soccer. We had appealed the suspension with the AD but his response was similar to yours that it did not matter if it was deliberate or not, it is an automatic red card.

Once again, many thanks for your response as I showed this to my grandson and it helped him to accept his punishment. He will be watching from the sidelines tonight.
Mad Props to O Doyle Rules For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (09-16-2021)