Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Xavier Vanquished!
Xavier Vanquished!
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
10-12-2012
Xavier Vanquished!

UD played Xavier on Monday of this week. UD started slowly in this match in all aspects. The Flyers lost set one by the score of 25-19 and then came on strong to win set two by the score of 25-21. The Flyers won set three 25-21 and then dominated in set four by the score of 25-14. All aspects of the Flyer's game improved as the match went on but especially serving, receive, blocking. Kelly has said previously that Xavier's fast offense is really difficult to block but the team normally improves as the match goes on.

The sideout percentage for Xavier in set one was 75%. If you are letting your opponent side out at 75% you need to be nearly perfect on offense to win the set. UD's side out percentage in set one was 58%, not nearly good enough. In set one the Flyers struggled in serve receive and other aspects of the game. Here is what Kelly had to say about the slow start:

"We had a long break between our Temple and Xavier matches. During that time we gave the team 3 days off so that they could get healthy and concentrate on their school work that was coming at them pretty heavily prior to Fall Break. We got our bodies back but when you have that much time off away from practices, you can lose the rhythm and feel for the ball - and I thought we did a little. The gym was also about 40 degrees when the match started - so I thought there was a chance that we might start a little slow. It wasn't just our passing that started a little slow. We missed quite a few serves early - but we weren't missing by much. We needed to be aggressive with our serves and I was confident that if we continued to be aggressive that it would start putting pressure on them - and it did. Defensively we got a lot better as the match went on. They came out and hit for a pretty high percentage in the first set and we slowly made the adjustments necessary to bring that percentage down each set".

Rachel Krabacher and Megan Campbell were beasts on this night. Rachel had 25 kills with two hitting erros in 52 attempts for a .442 hitting percentage. Included in this were a couple of shots I have never seen by Rachel. Megan had 12 kills in only 19 attempts with ZERO hitting errors for a .632 hitting percentage. When I asked Kelly about Rachel and Megan's great play he responded:

"They were great! Kray had more tool shots in that match than she's probably had in her whole career put together. It's a shot she has really worked hard on the past couple of weeks. Megan was big-time as well! When she drives hard, she's like a locomotive coming at you and is really difficult to stop. Earlier in the year she wasn't blocking as many balls as she has in the past and it was really frustrating her. It's good to see her put a few weeks together where she is blocking some balls".

On Friday the Flyers play Fordham in the Frerick's Center at 7pm. On Saturday they play Rhode Island. When asked about Fordham Kelly replied:

"They are off to their best start in years. They are trying to run an outside set that is even quicker than X. They are physical in the middle and they have a setter who has really nice touch on the ball. This team is playing with more confidence than they have since I've been here".

Friday's match will probably be the toughest one of the weekend. Hope you can make it.
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools