Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Volleyball Update Nov 1st
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
11-01-2012

DAYTON (OH) -- This article is late in being posted but there is some good stuff from coach Sheffield so here you go. Last weekend the Flyers struggled against Butler losing a set but winning in four sets which obviously is the most important thing. I asked Kelly about struggling against Butler and this is what he had to say:

"As good as Alabama football is, they don't outscore their opponents in every quarter. The Miami Heat don't outscore their opponents in every quarter either. In college volleyball Penn State and Stanford have both lost sets to teams with RPI's in the 100's. It's what's awesome about athletics and I don't get too worked up about it. Butler played well and we didn't. But to tell you the truth, in the locker-room after the match I told the team is was the most proud of them I'd been all year. We were not playing well at all, and we had a tough time finding a flow, but we absolutely gutted it out.

Although we weren't on top of our game, the team had this look in it's eye that they weren't going to go down. It was awesome to see! I walked in the locker-room after the match and tore up the stat sheets, because that match had absolutely nothing to do with stats - it was about heart. On the outside people may see a match that was closer than maybe they thought they'd see and question what was going on. But I saw a team that was gaining confidence that they can find a way to dig down deep when very little seemed to be working, and a team that was playing together and refused to go down."

When you looked at the service errors and Butler's side out percentage it would lead you to guessing that UD didn't serve the ball well in that match. Here is what Kelly had to say about serving.

"You know me, the ace-error ratio is not something we measure. It has absolutely no bearing on winning and losing at the highest level. It does in high school, but not at the high college level or international level. When Penn State won four national championships in a row, they had more service errors than just about anyone in the country. And in that conference, you are going to have a difficult time getting aces. We look at how our opponents are passing our serves, and how many points each of our servers are scoring when they go back to serve. We want our servers scoring a point every two times they serve.

To answer your question, no, I don't think we served the ball that well. Paige was the only server that we were able to score points with. That certainly makes it tougher when you are scoring at the rate that we want to be scoring at in one out of six rotations. Our passing was pretty solid for us on the weekend."

Megan Campbell has always been a beast when hitting the slide. But, this year she has become much more adept at hitting '1' balls and quick sets to the seams. Here is what Kelly said about Megan's improvement in varying her attack:

"Megan and Sam have a great connection, but they are constantly working on it. Most days they are staying after practice to work on it. They didn't get a lot of time together last spring. Megan is getting stronger, learning more shots, and Sammy is putting her in great situations".

Jill has played more minutes recently and hits the ball with power. I asked Kelly about what she brings to the table:

"Jill has the potential to be a really good player for us. With Jenna's injury she's our back-up for both the left-side and right-side attacking positions now. She doesn't make a lot of hitting mistakes but we need her to be more dynamic and not make as many blocking mistakes. There's days in the gym where she absolutely goes off, and then the next day is non-existent. It's not due so much with effort, she just needs to learn to play the game at the speed and power that we are playing it at here - on a consistent level. With J out, she will continue to get more court time and I have no doubt that she will continue to get better and better with that court time".

Nice job against Cincinnati last night. I thought the team passed the ball really well and I will have an additional article next week on serve receive with comments from Kelly.
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools