» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
In Search of Darrell Davis, Take 2
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-11-2014

DETROIT (MI) -- “From the Swamp” is coming to you from the new East English Village Preparatory Academy in the Motor City, site of Round 2 of the Detroit Public School League playoffs. The 2nd game of the twin-bill features the Renaissance HS Phoenix -- alma mater of former Flyer Paul Williams -- vs. the Detroit Douglass Academy Hurricanes and our guy Darrell Davis.

When I say East English Village Prep is new, I mean it is brand spanking new:

http://detroitk12.org/schools/eevpa/

In case you missed Take 1 of "In Search of Darrell Davis" you can find it here:

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24339

The first thing that one notices about the Phoenix basketball team is that they are small -- both guys in the backcourt are about 5’8”. And when the starting lineups are announced you realize, not only are the Phoenix small, they are young -- both starting guards are sophomores. The lack of size and over supply of youth becomes immediately apparent as Darrell and Douglass race out to a 16-1 lead after the first period. It was 11-0 up until 1:22 remained in the quarter, during which Darrell took an elbow to the face, which really seemed to bother him. He shook it off, as Davis ended the stanza with an NBA range three at the buzzer. At the opening of the 2nd period, The Hurricanes used Double D as a decoy and ran a set play that ended in a layup for a teammate. The young Phoenix struggled on D and turned the ball over with regularity. At the half it was 29-7. The 2nd half was not any kinder to Renaissance, as Douglass continued to have their way on both ends of the court. The final score was 62-26.

Darrell ended up with 16 points on 6-11 shooting. He had 3 three pointers, a layup, two thunder dunks and went 1-2 from the charity stripe to go with 3 assists and 4 rebounds.

You had to feel sorry for Renaissance as they never really had a chance in this contest against the older, taller Douglass squad. It is hard to believe this is the same high school that featured PW and 2 other D-1 players less than a decade ago.

Watching Darrell play you realize immediately that he wants the ball; he is the point guard. When Douglass wanted to run clock, it was Darrell who dribbled away the time. And he is a competitor-- he wasn’t happy when Coach Young took him out with 5:15 to go in the 2nd quarter --even tho he only sat for a grand total of 45 seconds of PT.

After the game I had a chance to chat with Darrell briefly. When asked about the elbow he took to the chops, Darrell admitted that it troubled him and took him out of his game for a bit. He complained to the ref about the elbow, but to no avail. When asked if he liked being subbed out of the game for a brief spell Davis said “No, I want to stay in there and help my team.” Douglass Academy will next face the powerful Detroit Pershing squad on Friday, featuring VCU signee Justin Tillman. Darrell said he is looking forward to facing Justin again and for 4 years in college since “we’ll be in the same conference.” The last time the two squared off, Tillman had 18 points, 16 boards and 6 blocks, but Darrell countered with 31 points in a narrow Douglass defeat.

“From the Swamp” went in search of Darrell Davis for a second time this high school season and got a much more representative showing.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools