» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Anatomy Of A Blowout
Anatomy Of A Blowout
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-03-2022
Anatomy Of A Blowout

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- Who doesn’t enjoy a good, old fashioned, country basketball butt kicking? Assuming, of course, that you are the kicker and not the kickee. UD’s total shellacking of VCU was their worst defeat in 19 years and helped the Red and Blue avenge the bitter one point home loss to the Rams four weeks ago.

One look at the box score documents the domination that the Flyers displayed over the lost little Rams in all facets of the game:

https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens...boxscore/13527

Points in the paint: 48-28, UD

Rebounds: 40-22, UD, with 16 of them offensive

Points off turnovers: 23-10, UD

Here is how Deuce described his team’s effort to Jablo:

“The Voice of the Flyers” Larry Hansgen had a much more blunt characterization:

That was the biggest win by a visiting Grant in Richmond, since Ulysses in 1865

The folks over at Ram Nation, the VCU MB, seemed to take it kinda hard:

https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/...-thread.19481/

Lotsa 'yeah but we were missing Vince Williams and Jalen DeLoach' whining to be found there. This conveniently ignores the fact that UD was without Elijah Weaver and that Williams and DeLoach average 17 points between the two of them, so the Rams theoretically would have still lost by 13 with them in uniform.

This post caught my attention:

More context: the game at Dayton got heated, players kept jawing (especially Vince), during and at the final buzzer, the teams did not shake hands, etc. Dayton came out with a point to prove, and played like it. They clearly had the game circled on their calendar. Grant was super saiyan fiery, I personally loved to see it. Like I said after the SBU game, basketball is a funny sport, and ish happens. I think we would've lost by 5-10+ with Vince and DeLoach.

Had to look up what ‘saiyan’ means but the point remains that the Sons of Anthony Grant clearly were on a mission and accomplished it

Ram Nation isn’t the only MB that features some pretty astute observations. UDPride MB poster Buster posted the following:

Post game interview between Larry and Grant; Larry said they got to sit in the film review and prep for the game. (I never knew they got to sit in on those.)

Anyway, Larry made the observation that the team executed the game plan exactly as the coaching staff had told them to run things. Grant replied that yes, the team listened, and followed, and good things can happen. Essentially praising the team for coming together and carrying out the game plan.

Meanwhile, MB poster Gazoo made the following in-game insight:

I have to give Camara credit for something you might have missed.

At the end of the first half VCU went 2 for 1. VCU scored and there was about 37 seconds left on the clock. VCU ran back on defense and Camara started to take the ball out of bounds. He hesitated. Then he took the ball. Then he stood there out of bounds. And stood there some more. The clock continued to run.

By the time he inbounded the ball there was 31 seconds on the game clock, and 30 on the shot clock, ruining VCU's 2 for 1. It was freaking brilliant and I've always wondered why teams never do this at the half.

Good on you, Camara.

The 30 piece the Flyers hung on the Rams is already paying dividends, as UD has moved from #76 to #55 in the Ken Pom ratings and climbed from #76 to #60 in the NET.

We’re on to SLU!

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools